Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited is an independent not-for-profit, government approved Ombudsman, operating The Furniture Ombudsman (set up in 1992), Dispute Resolution Ombudsman and the UKs first Rail Ombudsman service which launched in November.
Job Title: Ombudsman
Company: Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited
Reports to: Senior Ombudsman
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a growing organisation which provides Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to a range of businesses and their consumers.
You will play a key role within a team of experienced legal and ADR professionals resolving disputes between businesses and consumers. Your role will be to assess evidence, conciliate/mediate and adjudicate on an assigned case load. You will be expected to give legal advice on consumer law and complaint management to subscribing members and take part in presenting both internal and external training workshops.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Using your legal knowledge, assess evidence and use a method of conciliation/mediation and adjudication to resolve disputes between businesses and consumers.
- Communicate with stakeholders professionally by telephone, email, text message and letter as appropriate.
- Provide sound legal advice to business on consumer law and complaint management.
- Keep abreast of current legislation through internal know-how sessions and personal learning.
- Assess legal documents for accuracy (e.g. T&C’s, guarantees, warranties, etc)
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all stakeholders remotely and face-to-face.
- Work with team colleagues, and the senior management to improve the quality of the ADR and legal service provision to stakeholders.
- Author legal articles for publication in consumer and industry press, as required.
- In line with the organisation’s Communication Plan and other business objectives, engage with members, consumers, government and third sector organisations to develop/enhance/maintain relations and improve the profile of the Ombudsman.
- Develop, write and deliver training courses in consumer law and other related topics.
- Promote the Ombudsman’s range of training courses, as directed, to emphasize our aims to raise standards within industry
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Proven legal skills, with solid knowledge of current consumer and contract law, supported by an appropriate degree level qualification (minimum LL.B)
- Ability to apply legal knowledge and make sound decisions
- Perseverance and determination in achieving individual and team targets
- Dependable and reliable: able to produce consistently high quality and quantity of work
- Excellent prioritisation and able to reach decisions quickly and effectively
- Excellent organisational abilities
- First class customer service skills
- Confident, authoritative and able to communicate at all levels
- High attention to detail
- IT Literate (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to change and adapt to the business need
- Welsh speaking would be advantageous
Because of the changing nature of our business, your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
How to apply
Please send you CV to email@example.com